Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
This page is intended to define and explore our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion for our staff and the clients we serve.
Prosper Strategies is committed to doing our part to end racism and advance equity.
Michael Brown. Tamir Rice. Breonna Taylor. Ahmaud Arbery. George Floyd. Their senseless murders and many others have put a spotlight on the racism and injustice that has long plagued our country. Standing in solidarity is not enough, and we’re committed to taking action.
Over the last several months, we have:
- Relaunched our Changemaker Marketing Lab Grant with a focus on providing pro bono support to BIPOC-led and BIPOC-focused nonprofits.
- Expanded our network of BIPOC partner firms, freelancers and contractors and worked together with several of them on a range of nonprofit projects, all of which have benefited greatly from their perspectives and expertise. If you’re interested in partnering, email email@example.com. We’d love to meet you.
- Hosted important conversations about equity in the nonprofit sector through webinars, articles, stakeholder conversations and more. Topics we’ve addressed include: strength-based messaging, equity communications, avoiding stereotypes, engaging diverse stakeholder perspectives in the development of your nonprofit’s brand and more.
Our work doesn’t stop here. We know these efforts are miniscule in the face of the massive challenges of racial inequity and systemic racism. We can and will do more.
Read on to learn more about our principles and current focus initiatives below. As a white-led firm, we know we have blind spots and biases, and we welcome your feedback. We look forward to continuing to co-create an action-oriented equity, diversity and inclusion agenda that responds directly to the voices of people of color, LGBTQ+ folx and people living with disabilities across the nonprofit sector. To provide feedback or start a discussion on this important topic, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We value, respect and elevate diversity in its many forms:
We foster an inclusive environment.
We engage the communities our work aims to help and stand in solidarity with them.
We aim for equity in all that we do.
We strive for continuous improvement and share our progress.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Priorities
In addition to the steps we have taken in recent months to become an actively anti-racist organization that centers equity in our work, our current priorities in alignment with the principles above include:
- Redirecting our corporate giving to anti-racism organizations in Chicago, where we’re headquartered, and encouraging other Chicago companies to join us. A list of ideas for places to give can be found here.
- Doubling down our commitment to focus our client partnerships on nonprofits that are advancing racial justice and addressing inequities head-on. We are already proud to partner with so many of these organizations (United Way of Metro Chicago, Peer Health Exchange, iMentor Chicago, Comer Education Campus, Ignite…the list goes on) and look forward to continuing to deepen this focus.
- Creating opportunities for people of color on our team as we recover from the COVID crisis and work toward being able to hire again.
- Continually improving our recruitment and advancement processes to make them more inclusive and equitable. For example, we have introduced a blind audition process to evaluate prospective employees’ job skills outside of the context of their resume or identity, and are working to foster relationships with community organizations and HBCUs that will help us build a more diverse talent pipeline. We know we can do better and have a long way to go in living our commitment to EDI through the makeup of our team.
- Reading and discussing the work of thought leaders like Ibram X. Kendi (How to Be an Antiracist), Robin DiAngelo (White Fragility) and Ta-Nehisi Coates (Between the World and Me).