Transform Your Marketing,
Grow Your Nonprofit's Impact.
Changemaker Marketing Lab Online is the first online course of its kind, designed to help your nonprofit establish a powerful brand message, build an effective, achievable marketing plan and put it into action with less effort and more ease.
You'll move through eight carefully designed modules over the next eight weeks (or at your own pace) to build the strategies and skills you need to take your nonprofit's marketing to the next level. Marketing can be a truly transformational force at your nonprofit, and Changemaker Marketing Lab Online holds the key.
Registration closes 2/20 and the course begins 2/22.
Learn from the experts who train nonprofits like
… and many more.
Let's face it.
Effective marketing does not come easily for most nonprofit organizations. From shoestring budgets, to understaffed teams, to complex messaging and the constraints of your board and funders, it can feel like there is a new challenge around every corner. If you're struggling with marketing, one of these scenarios probably sounds familiar:
Scenario A: Too Many Hats To Make Marketing a Priority
At your organization, marketing is just one of many hats worn by someone with several other important responsibilities, such as development, operations or HR. It's tough to make marketing a priority and stay ahead of the curve when you're doing the jobs of three other people.
Scenario B: Too Much to Do, Not Enough Strategy
Your marketing team is small and you're constantly being pulled in several different directions. Plan an event! Develop a brochure! Test out that new feature on Facebook! Finding time to evaluate what's actually working and developing a plan that would help you operate more strategically feels next to impossible.
Scenario C: Never Enough Resources
Money is tight, and your organization never seems to have enough of it to do anything meaningful from a marketing perspective. You're under-resourced from a talent perspective, too, and you don't have the right people in the right seats to make marketing as impactful as you know it could be.
Scenario D: Misaligned Priorities
Your marketing team is keeping busy, but it doesn't feel like the things you're doing are actually driving your organization's mission forward. You spend way more of your time responding to "urgent" requests from other people at your organization than you should, and doing things because "that's the way they've always been done," not because they're actually going to make a mission impact.
If one of these situations sounds like your reality, Changemaker Marketing Lab Online is for you. Give us your energy and creativity for the next eight weeks, and we'll totally transform your organization's approach to marketing.
You'll walk away from Changemaker Marketing Lab Online with:
A compelling brand and messaging strategy
An effective, measurable marketing plan
The tools and training you need to put it into action
Here's what you'll find inside the 8 modules:
Module 1: Solidify Your Marketing Goals and Priorities
- How to determine your organization’s overall goals (even if they haven’t yet been established)
- How to map marketing goals to overall goals
- How to figure out which goals matter most to mission
- How to determine what your team has the expertise and capacity to handle
- How to avoid goal overload
- How to get buy-in across your organization in regards to your marketing goals
- How to learn from examples of effective (and ineffective) marketing goals set by other nonprofits
- How to audit your current marketing and communications to figure out what’s working and what’s not
Tools of the Trade:
- Marketing Audit Worksheets
- Nonprofit Marketing Priority Planner
Module 2: Get to Know Your Target Stakeholders
- How to identify the target stakeholders most likely to impact your mission and goals
- How to use primary and secondary research (plus a few of our favorite research hacks) to get to know your target stakeholders inside and out
- How to develop target stakeholder profiles so everyone at your organization can better understand the people you’re trying to reach
- How to rank your stakeholders in order of priority and plan your marketing activity accordingly
Tools of the Trade:
- Plug-and-Play Stakeholder Survey
- Stakeholder Persona Profile Template
Module 3: Write Your Positioning Statement and Key Messages
- What a positioning statement is and why it’s one of the most critical tools in your nonprofit marketing arsenal
- How to write a positioning statement that sticks, resonates and drives action
- Why your organization can’t succeed from a communications perspective without key messages
- How to segment key messages for each of your target stakeholders to make them as relevant as possible
- How to train your colleagues to use your key messages
Tools of the Trade:
- Brand Base Template
- Positioning Statement Library
- Positioning Statement Builder
- Key Message Builder
Module 4: Choose Your Tactics
- What marketing tactics we’ve found to be most effective for nonprofits over the course of our work with hundreds of organizations
- How to choose tactics based on your goals
- How to build an adaptive marketing budget that will allow you to achieve your goals and make the most of the tactics you’ve selected
- How to map your tactical selections to your target stakeholder’s journey and ensure you’re reaching the right people in the right places at the right time
- How to get around gaps in team technical knowledge or capacity for tactics you want to pursue
Tools of the Trade:
- Marketing Plan Template
- Tactical Selection Funnel
- Marketing Budget Planner
- Stakeholder Journey Map
Module 5: Use Your Chosen Tactics Effectively
- How to plan exactly what you’ll do with each tactic you’ve selected and stay on track toward your goals
- What the world’s most impactful nonprofits are doing to maximize their use of key tactics like social media, inbound marketing and media relations (and how to let their successes inspire yours)
- Key insider tips for maximizing your effectiveness with some of the most popular marketing tactics many nonprofits are using: social media, Google PPC advertising, inbound marketing and media relations
Tools of the Trade:
- Tactical Planning Worksheets
- Nonprofit Marketing Inspiration Board
- Cheat Sheets for social media, Google PPC, inbound marketing and media relations
Module 6: Put Your Marketing Plan Into Action
- How to create a marketing calendar that will ensure you take action on all of your marketing plans so you can achieve your goals
- How to decide who handles what on your marketing team and maximize each person’s strengths
- How to use an online project management system to keep track of tasks, timelines and marketing collateral (and ensure nothing slips through the cracks)
Tools of the Trade:
- Marketing Calendar Template
- Marketing Skills Assessment for Teams
- Plug-and-Play Project Management System for Nonprofit Marketing Teams
Module 7: Drive Results and Measure The Impact of Marketing
- How to set measurable marketing objectives based on your goals
- How to develop a metrics dashboard to track your goals and objectives in real time
- How to use our accountability meeting system to hold yourself and your team accountable to your goals and objectives
- How to illustrate the value of marketing to internal and external stakeholders
- How to learn from key successes and failures, as well as the metrics you’re tracking, to optimize marketing spend and time in the future
Tools of the Trade:
- Marketing Objective Worksheet
- Plug-and-Play Marketing Metrics Dashboard
- Accountability Meeting System Cheat Sheets
- Template presentation for illustrating the value of marketing to your board, leadership, donors and community
Module 8: Bring Everything Together Into a Final Marketing Plan and Optimize Results over the Long Term
- How to pull all the work you’ve done during Changemaker Marketing Lab together into a final marketing plan you’ll actually use
- How to present that marketing plan to your team, board, leadership, other staff, donors and others
- What throws nonprofit marketers off course most, and how to stay on track with your plans and goals when things get tough
- How to learn from key marketing successes and failures, as well as the metrics you’re tracking, to optimize marketing spend and time in the future
Tools of the Trade:
- Final Marketing Plan Slide Deck Template
- Presentation Cheat Sheet: Presenting Your Marketing Plan For Maximum Impact
- Optimization Cheat Sheet: 5 Questions to Ask Every Quarter to Optimize Your Marketing
All modules will be taught live from 2-3 pm CT on Thursdays beginning with our first session on 2/22. Recordings will be made available immediately following in case you need to skip a live session or want to revisit the material.
You'll also get access to these special bonuses:
- A bonus module on developing or refining your mission and vision. You might already have mission and vision statements, but if you want to make them even better, or need to revisit them based on some changes to your organization, this module will be released at the same time as module 3, and you can watch it any time.
- A bonus “burning questions answered” session after module 8. We’ll have time at the end of each live session for Q&A, but if you get ALL the way through the program and still have burning questions, you’re in luck, because I’ll be signing on to answer them in a bonus session the week after session 8 concludes.
- Lifetime access to our private Facebook group where I’ll be checking in every day, and so will your fellow nonprofit marketers.
Meet Your Instructor
Hi, I’m Alyssa Conrardy, and I can’t wait to get to know you inside Changemaker Marketing Lab Online. I’m the co-founder and president of Prosper Strategies, Chicago’s leading marketing firm for nonprofits and social enterprises. I’m also a sought after speaker on nonprofit marketing and communications. When I’m not at the office, you can find me traveling across the country teaching workshops on topics like this one to groups ranging from Google Community Leaders to Boys & Girls Clubs of America. I absolutely light up any time I get the chance to help nonprofit marketers do their jobs more effectively and intentionally, so I can’t wait for what’s in store during Changemaker Marketing Lab Online.
Want more? Check out my full bio here.
Praise for Changemaker Marketing Lab Online
Prosper Strategies helped us identify the attributes that make our organization truly unique, and assembled a marketing plan that effectively communicates these strengths to the public, other organizations and foundations. The messaging guides, calendars, and other materials created by Prosper are now central to IEC's communications strategy.
Working with the Prosper Strategies team was an incredible opportunity for Rebuilding Exchange. We have an internal motto here of 'semper scrappy' and rarely have funds in our budget to focus on marketing and communications strategies. The Changemaker Marketing Lab [...] afforded us a chance to dive into our mission and impact, and think about how to tell our story to folks who don't think about waste diversion every day. It was a great team building opportunity for us as we learned more about what motivates us to do the work we do. Compared to a year ago when we kicked off, our overall digital reach has increased by over 13%, with virtually no out of pocket costs to our organization. Our biggest gains were in Facebook and Instagram. The impact isn't just in the likes we get, but in the increased awareness of our mission and increased participation in our programs. We view Changemaker [Marketing Lab] as a catalyst for Rebuilding Exchange to scale our reach and increase the impact of our message. This growth directly contributes to our ability to divert over 1 million pounds of materials from the landfill each year, train individuals with barriers to employment, and empower our community through skill building and access to materials. Thanks Prosper Strategies for the amazing opportunity!
Prosper Strategies worked closely with us [during Changemaker Marketing Lab] to listen to and understand our organization’s needs, help us identify our communications priorities and provide actionable steps that we could achieve given our capacity. We are incredibly pleased with the vision and mission statement that they crafted with us, which more accurately and beautifully reflect who we are, what we do, and how we aspire to make an impact!
Our "Do it and Love it" Money-Back Guarantee
I KNOW you’re going to get a ton of value out of Changemaker Marketing Lab, because it’s the exact same process we’ve used with great success with a wide range of nonprofit clients.
However, I know investing in your own professional development and big-time strategic planning can be a little scary at first, so I want to give you a chance to get into our program and make sure it’s the right fit for you.
That’s why I’m offering you a full “Do it and Love it” Money-Back guarantee for 60 days from the start of the course (February 22nd, 2018). But here’s the thing: this course can’t get you results unless you do the work. So in order to get your money back if you’re dissatisfied for any reason, you must show us proof that you’ve gone through the modules and put in the time and effort required to be successful.
Your Questions, Answered
We hear you! Life as a nonprofit marketer or leader is BUSY.
We’ve intentionally structured CML Online to be an efficient program that most participants can move through in 60-90 minutes a week. Every live session will also be recorded and available to you and your team for life, so if you ever need to take a couple weeks off or move through the modules at your own pace, you can. You could complete the course over the 8 weeks we’ll be live together, over the next 12 months, or anything in between. It’s totally up to you.
If your nonprofit’s budget is tight, we know that finding the funds to invest in this course might be a challenge. Our suggestion is this: if you only invest in one marketing expense this year, make it an investment that will set you up for future success. Don’t invest your money in ads, direct mail, capital campaigns or anything else until you have a strategy that underpins them.
Yes, you could build a strategy on your own. But your time also has a cost, and we’re big proponents of doing things right the first time. When you’re ready or able to invest in getting clear on your nonprofit marketing strategy, find a professional you trust and a supportive community or a course that resonates with you, even if it isn’t this one. This is an important investment that will determine your nonprofit’s trajectory for years to come.
Based on current enrollment, we expect nonprofit marketing directors to make up about half of the class. The other half looks like it will be made up of development staff, executive directors, presidents, board members and VP-level operations people. We even have a few nonprofit founders in the mix who are just getting going and have made the smart decision to get strategic about marketing from day one.
Marketing planning is only one element of Changemaker Marketing Lab Online. We’ll also spend several modules building your brand and messaging strategy (key messages, positioning statement, mission, vision etc.) and developing the skills, tools and approaches necessary to execute effectively as a nonprofit marketer.
Even if your marketing plan is already set, you’ll still learn a ton. And we have yet to see a nonprofit marketing plan that couldn’t use at least a little refinement, so you can always spend your time during the course’s planning modules analyzing and polishing your plan rather than developing it from scratch.
We agree, it would be a shame to build a plan with such a limited shelf life. That’s why we use our Priority Planning framework to help you create a plan that will adapt and grow with your organization. In the course, you’ll build a foundational plan you can continue to iterate on top of with just a couple of hours of planning work every year.